We’re always looking for new volunteers to join us here at York Nightline. It doesn’t matter whether you are male or female, studying an arts or science degree, or whether you’ve got any experience in active listening – all we look for is commitment and enthusiasm for providing the service.
Volunteering at Nightline can be extremely rewarding – by being there to listen you could be helping someone when they need it most. By joining the team, you’ll become part of an invaluable service and also have the opportunity to meet people from all corners of university life.
We hold training weekends once a term. We are only able to train a limited number of people each time, so places can be quite competitive. Please note that priority is given to students in the first two years of their course.
If you want to be a listening volunteer, you should...
- Be committed to and passionate for providing the service
- Have a high proficiency of spoken and written English
- Be willing to remain anonymous and safeguard your anonymity and that of your fellow volunteers
We sadly cannot train you if...
- You are in your final year, due our limited resources and as well as the time commitment volunteering requires
- You teach any University of York or York St John students in the form of seminars or tutorials
If you have any questions about volunteering, please email email@example.com or feel free to speak to one of our public faces.